You can perform a gentle liver detox by engaging in qi gong movements and meditations that are designed to release liver energy stagnation and empower your body to detoxify naturally without adverse reactions.
It’s not true that you have to feel miserable during detox in order to cleanse the liver. Instead, I advocate the gentle approach that involves transforming your life not just for a few weeks during the detox period but for a life time.
Follow these steps for healthier liver and life–and free your energy to truly embrace the abundance inherent in spring time.
(1) Gently wean yourself from caffeinated products because caffeine overstimulates the liver and can agitate health challenges especially during spring time. Check labels carefully as even tea and “natural” drinks often contain caffeine. Adopt coffee substitutes that are herbal and contain dandelion such as “Dandy Blend,” which has herbs that naturally support the liver.
(2) Add more green leafy vegetables such as cilantro, kale, mustard greens, collard greens, romaine lettuce, dandelion greens and spinach to your diet. All of these vegetables along with cucumbers, help to reduce liver fire toxins (toxins that lead to high blood pressure and cholesterol).
(3) Create a gentle tea made of 1/4 cup of hawthorn berries cooked with 2 cups of water for 1 hour–bring to boil then simmer on low burner for 1 hour). Drink 2 ounces a day to help support healthy liver function and cholesterol management. You can get hawthorn berries from your local herbalist.
(4) Support your water element organs (kidneys) to “water the tree” or wood organ of the liver by juicing deep root vegetables and drinking at least 4 ounces a day. You can juice carrots, beets, and burdock root together to form a powerful kidney/liver tonic.
(5) Listen to my qi gong liver/wood meditation daily to detoxify the liver naturally through breath work and visualization.
Or perform this qi gong liver massage:
Gently place your palms over the liver under the right rib cage and massage in a counterclockwise circle for 3 minutes while you breathe deeply, exhaling slowly for a long count of 9 and inhaling slowly for a count of 9.
As you perform this meditation, imagine anger, frustration and irritability as stuck energy slowly releasing from the liver.
Imagine your palms bringing to the liver cool, calming and moist energy, like water nourishing a dry and withered tree.
Visualize your tree, becoming vibrant, strong and flexible, bending gently like a willow tree, able to flex with the demands of life without becoming rigid and stressed.
Finish the massage by shaking out hands thoroughly and placing palms on the lower abdomen about 3 inches below your belly button.
Consciously store energy in the lower abdomen and feel peaceful and ready for the next activity before you
(6) Reduce or eliminate meat. Use grains, beans and a wide assortment of vegetables to get adequate levels of protein in the diet.
Detox doesn’t have to be a painful and rapid process that leaves you feeling depleted than temporarily better until your body builds toxins again. It can be a gentle journey into adopting lifestyle changes and habits that allow you to naturally to decrease toxins daily such that overall, your energy and health consistently improve and transform.
For additional liver detox foods see this blog post from Positive Health Wellness.
Interested in our professional medical qi gong certification program? Contact us today at 512-468-6588 firstname.lastname@example.org